You did it! You made it to the second major step of the internship process: securing an interview. If your well-tailored resume that you created at career services has impressed the right people, then you probably have scheduled an interview with a potential internship employer. Congratulations!
But, now leads you into new territory and this step can make or break you. There’s a lot you need to prepare for before you the big day but today we will help you with what to wear!
“Your clothes can influence your chances of landing a job”.
Here are 5 Tips to Properly Dress for an Interview
- Dress Appropriately
- Interview attire is seen as a test of the candidate’s familiarity with the company and industry. If you are applying to a corporate type of internship, it’s best to wear business attire. If you are applying to something more liberal like a stylist, you should dress to show style which you might not want to stick to the strict rules of a business
- Less is more
- When dressing for whatever internship it is important that what you wear doesn’t distract potential employers from You! Try to avoid gaudy jewelry, dramatic makeup, or too much cologne. Don’t give employers anything else to focus on other than what you have to offer them.
- The Company is your friend
- Research the company and find out what’s expected. The company is your friend and will be able to tell you everything you need to know. Contacting the Human Resources department should be a good start!
- Ensure your clothes are clean and pressed
- Once you have to perfect outfit and accessories, you’re good to go. But not before you make sure everything is cleaned and ironed. If your clothes are very fragile you could even consider dry-cleaning!
- Better overdressed than too casual!
- Understanding the setting of the company can be difficult at times. It is important to remember that being overdressed is better than being under-dressed. Air on the side of caution and dress it up!